- Ok, so it has been asked a few times recently-and in the past...how do I keep things so clean? I don't clean everyday; I do make sure that stuff is in its place daily! The room that gets the messiest is the kitchen-if you were to pop-up at my door unannounced the house would look the way it does in my photos. BUT-you will find dust and dog hair, lol. This house stays dusty and Lulu can't help that she sheds with each step-both issues drive me batty.
- I was really thrilled 2 months ago when I finally bought a new dust mop. I could not wait to get home and use it. I had wanted to buy this mop for a year; I was just being too cheap to spend the $24 for it! It was the industrial types of dust mop-I tease and call it my "school janitor's mop". Because that is what it makes me think of...in a good way. I love it because it is wider than most dust mops, which means it covers more in one swoop...and that means I get it done faster! Plus, I can throw it in the wash with the rags when I am done. I am not ashamed to shake it out on the deck in-between wash...that drives LaVaughn crazy. He calls me country. I also like to use it damp-right out the washing machine. It picks up better & holds the dust/ hair more. I try to dust mop every other day.
- I love my $19 vacuum from Target-it's a hand vac with a detachable handle & wheels. I use it EVERY day in the bathroom(my hair sheds, the girls too). I like to use it in the kitchen when I don't want to dust mop. It also comes in handy for sucking up the pile after I dust mop-I always vacuum that mess up. I try to dust mop or vacuum in the morning right after the girls are off to school-since I am up & might as well get that out the way! I usually don't clean on the weekends.
- I use the steam mop for the bathrooms, I love that thing!
- I swear by Swifter’s' duster 360, I have about 5 or 6 handles. I keep one in my bathroom to clean the hair off my sink every day. It is the only duster I will use to dust the whole house once a week.
- Bona is the best floor polish I have tried-the best!! I polish the floors once a month and it takes 2 bottles for me to do the entire main floor. Buy the kit with your 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. Home Depot carries just the polish, Target too(smaller bottle than HD). The cleaner is for daily clean up-the polish is for shine!! You have to work quickly and try not to go over it when it starts to set-then it will smear or look dull.
- Rags & water. I use one damp rag & one dry rag to clean mirrors & glass after I dust.
- I don't like to sweep-after I had heard on the Discovery channel(or something) that when you sweep the dust that is kicked up stays in the air for 10 mins-that was it for me!! I do sweep down the steps because it is the best way to get in the corners-and I am thinking about that dust lingering in the air the whole time.
- Febreze-to keep the house from smelling like a DOG!! I spray Lulus' beds and her usual lay spots once a week with Febreze-which keeps her smelling good in return.
- I make my bed EVERYday as soon as I get out of it-so I don't have to think about it & it's done. LaVaughn makes it up on weekends, yay. The girls clean their rooms & bathroom.
I don't have any new ideas; I just try to clean once a week. It doesn't always happen! But the house stays neat so you can't tell!!
I love to watch Hoarders-and LaVaughn hates that show. I spend the show saying "look honey, eeww"!!
Bea, here is my favorite cookie recipe I have counted on for the past 7yrs. I made these cookies(in the photos) Wednesday night and with my greedy gang-they're all gone! I made more yesterday for Kiela to take to class today. I feel better using organic ingredients, who knows these days if that is really better! The dough is really easy to roll out for cookie cutters-I skip the chilling and just roll with it;-). I thought this would be nice to share for you all to make for Santa!! Merry Christmas